Coconut oil has gained a great reputation lately, due to its numerous healing effects. I want to outline some main beneficial effects of using coconut oil. Coconut oil contains a rich amount of a saturated type of fat called medium chain triglycerides, MCT. In contrast, long chain triglycerides may, if overconsumed, have a detrimental effect to ones health. Coconut oil, even though it is rich in saturated fat, the mail composition is MCT, which has a healing effect to both body and mind. The difference is that MCT’s are metabolized differently, and are more readily being converted into energy or ketone bodies (used as a energy source when glucose is not readily available). Coconut oil is the richest source of MCT of all foods. The healing effects of coconut oil include:
- Dementia: The MCT’s are converted to ketone bodies in the liver. Ketone bodies are also being produced upon a low glycemic diet. Studies have shown great benefit for the nervous system upon loading with ketone bodies. Therefore, ingesting coconut oil is a great way of making sure that you get a decent amount of ketone bodies.
- Epilepsy: The same reason as for dementia, ketone bodies being produced from MCT have shown a significant improvement in people suffering from epilepsy. This is the most scientifically proven advantage of MCT.
- Dental: Either by oil pulling (where you swoosh around the oil in your mouth for about 5 minutes) or finishing ones dental care with a rinse with coconut oil, this has shown great effects in restoring gum health and reversing dental caries.
- Gut flora: The MCT in coconut oil has a healing effect on the gut flora, particularly alleviating fungal overgrowth in the flora.
- Muscle therapy: The MCT from coconut oil will be more readily absorbed as a energy source in the muscle cells. This means this is a great pre-/post-workout nutrient, to restore and energize the musculature.
- Skin therapy: Skin greatly benefits from being supplemented with coconut oil. It is m experience that dry skin, rashes and wounds more easily heal by applying coconut oil.
- Hair therapy. While Castor oil often is better for the hair, coconut oil is great for rejuvenating certain hair conditions.
- Slow caffeine absorption: I often recommend having coconut oil in the coffee, as this slows down the absorption of coffee, causing a slower surge in caffeine into the body.