Is there one organ I am thankful of, it is the liver. The more you study the liver, the more you will realize its remarkable abilities.
Did you know that if you cut away 80 % of the liver, it would regenerate itself back to its original size! That is because the liver cells have an enormous regenerative capacity.
So why, when the liver can heal itself so efficiently, will the liver suffer and malfunction, ultimately causing debilitating diseases such as cirrhosis (scarring of the liver tissue), gall stone generation and tumorous growhts in the liver. I believe the answer lies in the amount of toxin exposure to the liver. Therefore, to let the liver do its remarkable effects, we need to detoxify the liver AND the body.
So, how do we do this? Here is an outline of ways that have had a proven effect in healing the liver:
- Regular fasting. By fasting for periods of time, you will give the body time and opportunity to let go of the toxins that have built up in the body. When we eat, and the nutrients from the food is broken down and absorbed in the body, it is up to the liver to further assimilate these nutrients, either by storing nutrients in the liver for later usage, or distributing the nutrients around in the body. While this is a very essential process for our existence, the liver has to work hard in order to assimilate and distribute a complex meal. We can therefore say that fasting enable the liver to more easily perform other tasks, such as rinsing the body from toxins.
- Clean eating. Eating less junk food and greasy food that bombard the liver with more free radicals, and at the same time ingesting highly nutritious foods with lots of good antioxidants and minerals is very beneficial for a healthy liver. I often recommend consuming a green leafy salad prior to eating a heavy meal, as this will help the digestive system and liver work better.
- Drink less alcohol. I have the habits of omitting alcohol for a month at a time, in the effect to leave the liver less riddled with toxins. During these periods, I find that the energy level increases, and I can think more clearly. I have met people who have accomplished great things, who swear that the reason why they got to that stage was because they completely omitted alcohol for longer periods.
- Take care of your gut. In my practice, I have a keen interest in figuring out if the gut flora may not be great. One important reason for this is that while a normal gut flora function to balance the immune system in the gut, a dysbiotic gut flora will release toxins and free radicals, riddling the liver with more work. The effect of this is that the energy level may decrease. Therefore, having a healthy gut flora and liver function, is important for thriving energy in the body and mind.
- Herbal supplements. When my patients ask what supplements are the best to heal the liver I say herbs such as Milk thistle, Turmeric, Dandelion. Even making a tea using these herbs will have a potent liver rinsing effect. In my practice, I have commonly advised people who have elevated blood markers in the liver values to ingest a regular supplement of Bitterstern 10-15 drops in water 2-3 times daily for a period of at least 2 months. This I find to be truly effective in cleansing the liver and gall bladder, consequently normalizing the liver values.
- Drink lemon water. Start the day with drinking lemon water (1/2 a lemon squeezed in a glass of water), or alternatively apple cider vinegar in water. While it feels good to start with this cleansing drink, it also has a lot of healing effects in the body, including stimulating the liver dexification processes.
- Liposomal Glutathione. Glutathione is the livers most effective antioxidant, and has an enormous capacity to mop up free radicals circulating in the liver and blood circulation. When ingesting a supplement of glutathione, it is essential to make it fat soluble for easy assimilation, hence the liposomal form.
- Drink plenty of water. You probably know that we constitute about 70-80 % of water. Providing our body with enough water is also essential for our bodies and liver to detox sufficiently. This is also important for someone fasting, where the effect of the fast is greatly enhanced by drinking plenty of water (and lemon water and herbal teas).
- Release that pent-up anger. According to Chinese medicine un-channeled anger and aggression will be harmful to the liver. By this, I do not mean to show how angry you are by releasing the anger building up, but rather letting go of the anger, and exchanging it with more positive emotions.
- Use visualizations. On that note, using visualizations can be a powerful tool. In Chinese medicine, visualizing the liver bathing in green color can have a profound healing effect for the liver.